Our self-guided treks are complete vacation packages that bring together fabulous hiking, lodging, food, and wine, allowing you to “Experience Luxury on Foot”. They are based in the San Francisco Bay Area, which includes the Wine Country of Napa and Sonoma. Premiere lodging, breakfasts and lunches, wine tasting, special excursions, and logistics are included in your trek. Uniquely designed in the European style of hiking village to village, most of the treks are accomplished on foot with very few transfers necessary.
The treks are self-guided, meaning that you travel with your own family or friends, not with a tour of strangers. We provide you with a complete itinerary, including custom maps and detailed trail notes, and arrange all meals and lodging for you. You have the confidence of knowing that everything is taken care of and the freedom to manage your own time. Our in-depth local knowledge makes our maps and trail notes invaluable assets on your trek. Our custom maps chart your course on well marked trails that accommodate all levels of hikers.
We arrange luggage transport between inns and provide a packed lunch for the trail. This allows you to enjoy your hike each day with just a simple day pack for your Trail Guide and lunch. At a leisurely pace the daily hikes can be completed in 5 to 7 hours.
Special excursions are also included in the base price of each trek. On most treks this will include wine tastings at estate wineries. One trek also includes kayaking with a local naturalist guide and a privately catered dinner with local wines. Another trek includes ferry rides and entry fees to state and national parks.
Lodging on your trek ranges from luxury boutique hotels in the cities to charming country inns with all the amenities one would expect of premier lodging. All of the lodging is among the best the area has to offer and fitting for a first class trekking experience. The rooms chosen are the most luxurious offered, often with outdoor areas and fireplaces. If you are interested in a lower cost option for a standard room, which may be available in some locations, please contact us.
What is included:
- Premiere lodging
- Wine tastings (on most treks)
- All taxes, fees, and tips
- Detailed Trail Guide with custom maps and trail notes for each day
- Luggage transfer between lodgings
- Ferry and park fees
- Transportation to the trailhead (on the few days it may be needed)
- Kayaking with a naturalist guide (on one trek)
- Privately catered beach dinner (on one trek)
- Local assistance phone number
- Restaurant and spa reviews and reservations
- Local area information package and Planning Guide
What is not included:
- Dinners. We have found that our trekkers are passionate about food, and want the ability to select their own menu items and restaurants where there are dining options. We provide descriptions and reviews of local restaurants and make the reservations for you.
- Pre and post trek airport transfers.